Topic 3.

After going through this topic’s readings, the question on the future of education keep arising. I have come to realize that the modes of service delivery have evolved over the last century. Transportation, health care, communication, and so much more has morphed into new technology. However, how we deliver, information in our education systems remains rigid and rooted in the pioneering styles and designs. What is the hope for education, particularly for higher education (DeRosa & Jhangiani, 2017)? How do you see the learner and the teacher (DeRosa & Jhangiani, 2017)? These are two of the four questions that DeRosa & Jhangiani (2017), one of the readings I went through, posited in the book ”Open Pedagogy.” From it, I understood that open pedagogy is a modern model of education that suggests that students should be engaging in an actively constructive model of learning, where they are creators of knowledge, instead of a passive one, where they consume it. The readings I handled in topic 3 have elaborated this topic more presently by analyzing the conception and principles of the theory and the developmental stages. For instance, there is a discussion about David Wiley, the Lumen Learning Chief Academic Officer, one of the first scholars to suggest OERs (Open Educational Resources) and how they should be used (DeRosa & Jhangiani, 2017).

Similarly, in my second reading, the article by Gilliard & Culik (2016) takes a tour down memory lane to describe the technology of digital redlining used in the 90s. The article describes the attributed frustrations that came with digital redlining. In this reading, I found an argument on the concept of digital justice, presenting the need for a typical form of regulated access to information and an assessment of how this digital limitation affects the student’s academic opportunities (Gilliard & Culik, 2016). The article further criticizes technology policies at tertiary institutions that limit access to necessary knowledge. The argument suggests that most of these policies have erected invisible walls that have restricted the unlocking of an interest-driven learning model. I have discovered that the primary view of open pedagogy is to hand over the control of learning to the students in theory and implicitly in education-oriented technology. In another reading, I went through the Aboriginals’ case study which demonstrates through indigenous youth in remote Australia that engaging and acknowledging learners in projects can have sustainable outcomes as far as the learning agenda goes (“- Learning spaces – ANU,” 2019). I’ve found that the answers to the questions posed by DeRosa & Jhangiani (2017) lie in the transference of the risk element to learners and, by so doing, enhancing continuity, transformation, and innovation within the learning age set. Education can join other sectors in remodeling the delivery of service through open pedagogy.

DeRosa, R., & Jhangiani, R. (2017). Open pedagogy. A guide to making open textbooks with students, 6-21.

Gilliard, C., & Culik, H. (2016). Digital redlining, access, and privacy. Common Sense Education, 24.

Learning spaces – ANU. (2019, April 11). ANU Press. https://press-files.anu.edu.au/downloads/press/p197731/html/ch04.html?referer=&page=10#toc_marker-11

1. alexli

I also paid extra attention to the redlining concept. That censorship sometimes focuses on the wrong topic. It would be interesting to see what would be an effective solution to that. As it’s definitely unrealistic to lift sensorship as a whole. Negative and hurtful information could disturb other users. However, the concept of censoring is removing something that a specific group of people wants to share, and thus in nature, it’s a bias opinion.

2. Yuqing

Hi Ziyu,
    I agree with your blog about handing over the control of learning content to students. I think the advantage of open teaching environment is that students can choose what they want to know. However, some colleges and universities virtually control the scope of information that students want to search, which may be a reverse operation to open teaching.

Yuqing